Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas

Captain's log:

Christmas in Japan is weird. It's like in movies, where a guy gets killed by an alien or something, and takes his place. All of his friends know something's off, but can't quite put their finger on it.

You have the decorations and all that. But no spirit/cheer. It's very strange. This is the most not-Christmas Christmas ever.

Secret Santa was wednesday and went off for the most part without a hitch. I was really pleased and happy everything went well. My present was a bottle of Makers Mark. The ryuugakusei know me too well.

The next day (yesterday), was Christmas Eve. X-mas Eve is pretty much valentines day for the Japanese. Couples go do couple-y things, exchange gifts, and whatnot. So Aaron and his friend, Mayano, set up this singles party at a small restaurant. The only ryuugakusei there were Drew, Aaron, the Norwegians, and Me. The party was awesome. Lots of beer and sochu, the food was excellent, and the company was even better.

I also brought a bottle of Southern Comfort, cause I hadn't had it in so long. A few people helped, but I ended up drinking nearly the entire bottle.

5 of the Japanese girls there pretty much rotated between Drew, Aaron, and me. They were really awesome, got a few numbers and whatnot, and dates will be set up. Eventually we got out, and my memory's a little hazy, but somehow I let my friends talk me into going to a club. I really didn't want to go, but we go anyway and it ends up being terrible.

Came home this morning, went to sleep at about 6, woke up at 10:30, talked to family, talked to friends, mailed postcards (finally), made some bacon. I really haven't done that much today, and I haven't seen my host family. I really don't like being alone in general, much less on Christmas. Today has been very lonely.

I can't decide if I want to still go out on New Years, we'd go to a club. However, New Years is the big family holiday here, so I dunno if it will be all that fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment