Wednesday, September 16, 2009

One of us! One of us!

Captain's log,

If you are a (non-Asian) foreigner in an Asian country, you will get stared at. A lot. Especially if you happen to be tall and have red hair. I don't mind, I expected it, usually from kids it's one of curiosity, and I don't blame them, I too would probably stare at the strange-looking white-devil if I grew up in a neigh-homogeneous society. Hell, I got stares in America, but here it's a different stare. It's a very unwelcoming, "you're not one of us" kind of stare. I don't get it from everyone, but it is a nearly everyday occurrence. I'll get used to it, and those who see me every day will get used to me, my neighbors already say good morning to me as I walk by, but it's still something that you have to get past.

I've noticed myself standing straighter in this country, like how I stand when I'm dressed up. I think it's a subconscious "Yea, I'm here, I'm awesome, what?" sort of thing. In relation to what I mentioned above, I'm not going to back down, and I'm not going to hide.

On another note, in typical mischievous Steve-O fashion, I've decided I have a new mission while I'm here: I'm going to teach the Japanese folk fun things to say. For science. I want to teach them how to properly use internet slang, such as "lol," "rofl," "woot," "noob," etc, and how to properly use the words "bitchin'" and "tits." Such as, "Dude, these cheese fries are bitchin'" and "That log ride was tits." I'm a bad, bad man.

On another another note, there's a drink company called Suntory, if you've heard of them, it's probably because of their whiskey, which you can find in America. But here in Japan, in addition to whiskey, they make many other drinks. My favorite brand of theirs is Boss. Mostly thanks to Lonely Island's "Like a Boss." There's are these awesome posters for Boss coffee drinks that have Tommy Lee Jones just looking off in the distance like a boss, I'll post a picture when I find one. Also, because of this brand name, I found the best name for a drink ever:

No comments:

Post a Comment